noun, [in∙de∙pen∙duh nt skee-er]
plural: in∙de∙pen∙dent ski∙ers.
1. An autonomous being or thing that skis.
2. A small, privately owned publication devoted to telling stories about skiing.
We believe skiers are skiers. It makes no difference how old they are, what their education level or income is, if they live in the mountains and ski 100-plus days a year, or take one ski trip a year.
Our readers are all over the map. What they care about is high-quality storytelling to fuel their love of their sport and lifestyle anywhere, anytime.
Mission: To provide the highest quality mobile storytelling possible to skiers worldwide, for free. Always fresh, always deep.
- A digital lens focused on covering all aspects of skiing: the sport, the lifestyle, and the mountains through words, images, video, and audio.
- An app that features the highest quality storytelling with the best production values and user experience available.
- Available to everyone for free, on iPads and iPhones anywhere in the world via the App Store. (Get the app here)
We Are not:
- A website polluted with top ten lists, pay-to-play content, forced slide show galleries, and irrelevant ads, pandering for every click.
- Another ‘core-brah’ publication.
- Out to win any popularity contests.
- A print magazine limited by page sizes and paper quality.
- Going to take ourselves, or our sport, too seriously.
Tom Winter - Editor, Co-Founder
Tom’s ski journalism background includes positions as the founding editor of the influential skiing title Freeze Magazine, Editor at Large for Freeskier Magazine and a Senior Contributor to Powder Magazine. In addition to his work as a journalist, Tom has created, designed and organized some of the most important freeski events in North America, including the Berthoud Pass Bad Ass Championships, the Colorado Freeride Championships and the New Mexico Extremes, a 4* Freeride World Tour Qualifying event. He’s also acted as a judge for the Freeride World Tour (FWT) at events ranging from Sochi, Russia to Squaw Valley, USA.
Tom’s skiing background includes ski mountaineering descents of Ecuador’s Chimbarazo (6,268 meters) and Cotopaxi (5,897 meters) volcanoes as well as first descents on smaller peaks in North and South America. His writing and photography has been featured in ESPN, Skiing, The Ski Journal and others, and he is a three-time winner of the Howard Hirsch Award for snowsports photography.
Mark Lesh - Creative Director, Co-Founder
A geologist by training, Mark is drawn to telling the story of mountains and how we live and play in them. Mark currently art directs, designs, and illustrates for various publications and websites including The Drake, Inspirato, Colorado Homes & Lifestyles, and Kroger's Optimum Wellness. He has served as Art Director, Digital Creative Director and Photo Editor at Skiing Magazine. His work has also appeared in Ski, Powder, and Mountain Magazines.
Mark grew up ripping gates in Utah in the early 1980’s as a founding member of the Waterford Ski Team, worked on the Race Crew at Park City Mountain Resort, cooked at the Alta Peruvian Lodge, and taught skiing at Eldora Mountain Resort.